Advanced Settings Configuration¶
This part of the guide will cover how to make modifications to the more arcane settings in OpenMW,
most of which are not available from in-game menus, to optimize or customize your OpenMW experience.
If you are familiar with
.ini tweaks in Morrowind or the other games, this will be quite similar.
All settings described in this section are changed in
settings.cfg, located in your OpenMW user directory.
See Paths for this location.
Once you have located your
settings.cfgfile, open it in a plain text editor.
Find the setting(s) you wish to change in the following pages.
If the setting is not already in
settings.cfg, add it by copy and pasting the name exactly as written in this guide.
Set the value of the setting by typing
= <value>after the setting on the same line, using an appropriate value in place of
If this is the first setting from it’s category that you’re adding, be sure to add the heading in square brackets
above it using just the setting type, i.e. without the word “Settings”.
For example, to delay tooltips popping up by 1 second, add the line
tooltip delay = 1.0. Then to the line above, type
[GUI], as the tooltip delay setting comes from the “GUI Settings” section.
Although this guide attempts to be comprehensive and up to date,
you will always be able to find the full list of settings available and their default values in
in your main OpenMW installation directory.
The ranges included with each setting are the physically possible ranges, not recommendations.
As the title suggests, these are advanced settings. If digging around plain text files and manually editing settings sounds scary to you, you may want to steer clear of altering these files. That being said, this guide should be plenty clear enough that you can find the setting you want to change and safely edit it.
- Camera Settings
- Cells Settings
- Map Settings
- GUI Settings
- HUD Settings
- Game Settings
- show owned
- show projectile damage
- show melee info
- show enchant chance
- best attack
- can loot during death animation
- actors processing range
- classic reflected absorb spells behavior
- use magic item animations
- show effect duration
- enchanted weapons are magical
- prevent merchant equipping
- followers attack on sight
- shield sheathing
- weapon sheathing
- use additional anim sources
- barter disposition change is permanent
- only appropriate ammunition bypasses resistance
- strength influences hand to hand
- normalise race speed
- projectiles enchant multiplier
- uncapped damage fatigue
- turn to movement direction
- swim upward coef
- trainers training skills based on base skill
- General Settings
- Shaders Settings
- force shaders
- force per pixel lighting
- clamp lighting
- auto use object normal maps
- auto use object specular maps
- auto use terrain normal maps
- auto use terrain specular maps
- normal map pattern
- normal height map pattern
- specular map pattern
- terrain specular map pattern
- apply lighting to environment maps
- radial fog
- Shadows Settings
- Input Settings
- Saves Settings
- Sound Settings
- Terrain Settings
- Video Settings
- Water Settings
- Windows Settings
- Navigator Settings